Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Outlast - Dr. Satan's horror


To this day, exactly six years ago, we survived a psychiatric nightmare in Colorado. Never again!

Exactly six years ago, I was not ready for Outlast. I don't know why, I've survived almost every horror title worth mentioning in the last twenty years, but only after Outlast I didn't sleep peacefully. I remember going to play it with the amplified sound - anyway, for a better atmosphere. Already after the first ten minutes I had to mute the game.

Outlast came from almost nowhere. Its creators had no launch game before, and I don't think anyone hoped for such a level of brutality in a single game. Outlast was a game where, for example, you were chased by two naked giants with visible genitals, a game where you watched them cut your toes, a game where you were chased and you didn't know where to go because everything was dark in 3 pm… three in the afternoon, is it.



I bet no one game has ever repeated a similar level of horror as Outlast, or even its sequel that followed four years later. In the game, the player really felt helpless - he couldn't defend himself or attack, and the batteries in the camera that illuminated the gloomy gloom were consuming as if they were from China. And the game play took place in America.

In the end, I was a little disappointed with the ending of Outlast, so the story didn't interest me enough to play an extension called Whistleblower that came out in 2014. It's a good excuse, I admit, but it honestly made me a little dirty. When I finished Outlast I said - never again. And that's what I kept. I played two, but the first part never again.


Outlast was initially exclusive to the PC platform, but quickly appeared on consoles as well. Today, it can be played on all current platforms, including the Nintendo Switch. We don't know if the third part is in development, but if it is, I'll be ready for it so it can't catch me off guard like a six-year-old original.

No comments:

Post a Comment