Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has returned the campaign - in the same format as the last 16 years


Call of Duty has brought the single-player campaign back into play, and in this article we bring our observations and impressions of it.

We're a little late with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare's review and chances are high that all interested players have already played the campaign and then the other mods. While our editor-in-chief is playing multiplayer matches, I have a duty to play a single-player portion of the game, so in this text I will briefly comment on that part, which will also be an overture to the final review.

You know the kind of "travel" photos where a photographer holds his hand to the back of a turned girl and there's a beautiful scene in front of him? The style is called "Follow Me To", dates from 2011 and is credited with Russian photographer Murad Osmann. Although Call of Duty is older than this type of painting, all the campaigns in the series are designed in a similar fashion to Follow Me to Photos. There is an exciting scene ahead of you, and you are always led by a character you follow. The scenes change, but there is always someone in front of you to guide you. It doesn't hold your hand, at least not literally, but it feels like this all the time.


Since CoD is recycled, I will also recycle what I wrote in a former review for Infinite Warfare. "The game is still designed to maximize your grip and guide you through the action as a kind of dog on a leash. Almost every mission in CoD is accomplished with a few teammates, and the action takes place around them. You are the center of attention, but not the trigger of the action. When there is a situation to get away from the action and maybe look for a detour, a message comes on the screen - come back! You can't open the door yourself until the other team members come to them, everything in CoD is sequenced to pain. "


The same sentences apply to the Modern Warfare campaign in 2019, so playing the same brought me some kind of deja vu. The new Modern Warfare is a new game, but it doesn't really work that way in single player. I had the impression that I had gone through countless times what the game was throwing at me. All attempts to make the game realistic in my militaristic fantasy were weak and unconvincing to me, because how could one enjoy the role of a soldier when everything was directed to him. I know soldiers follow orders, but the amount of orders in Call of Duty campaigns would make more sense if the main character is a military dog.


It's not just soldiers, because the Follow Me To format is used for absolutely everything alive. In one part of the game you play the role of a little girl and you have to follow a little older brother to escape the city. Aside from the fact that this child has previously witnessed the traumatic killing of his parents and, by some miracle, is not in shock, it turns out that little brother is a true war strategist, and besides the correct route to escape from the city, you will plan out everything you need to do to outwit the trained soldiers. .


Second scene: I'm in jail and the torturer comes to the cell. After a little chat he tells me to follow him. I've had enough of that already - I follow the whole game, end up in jail and have to follow someone again? So I went to see what would happen if I refused the order and stayed where I was. The answer is - nothing happens but the game waits for you to obey the command. This is interesting because before that you have a scene where you have to turn into a corner and not look at your opponent. If you do not respond to this order, you will be punished. But you can refuse tracking without consequence.


I'm not really asking for Call of Duty a lot because every game has flashes of good design when it rarely shakes your hands and lets you off the chain. In the case of Modern Warfare, the best comes in end-of-game missions. The penultimate mission of Going Dark gives you access to a slightly larger complex on your own and which routes you take. This was by far my favorite part of the game, especially when combined with an armored vehicle circling the map. While hiding in the dark, I felt like I was playing a horror title with an unstoppable opponent. I want to see such things as much as possible in Call of Duty!


To be fair, the variety of tasks is again solid in Modern Warfare. Only the stock with the run is missing, and everything else is there to fine-tune the action and the clocking. There are even a few space puzzles in the game - I couldn't believe it. And that's something that would benefit CoD in larger numbers. I especially liked the tactical missions indoors, where quick response is key. It reminded me of a Mile High Club mission from the first Modern Warfare. The reason why these missions were good for me lies in the unexpected placement of enemies: some hide under the bed, some pretend to be civilians…


In these missions, the weight of the game comes to the fore. I don't know if it's up to the fact that I haven't played the CoD campaign since 2017, but somehow this year's Call of Duty made me more ruthless in terms of weight. I like the fact that the game is realistic in that regard - you eliminate enemies quickly, not like in other shooters where you have to shoot half a shotgun at your opponents to bring them down. The use of weapons in the game is great, though I think the sound when firing could be more realistic, primarily indoors.


The campaign has 14 levels, three playful characters and a story that has not caught my attention. It is commendable that the problems in the world are usually not of a military nature but of a political nature, but it is already somewhat clichéd that the Russians are again the villains in the whole story. It is an interesting link to previous Modern Warfare games, but you only know it at the very end and it looks like it will be expanded through future missions in the cooperative part of the game.


So, I don’t think Modern Warfare has a story to remember, and I believe the missions themselves will quickly evaporate from my mind. However, I will remember an impressive presentation because Modern Warfare is better than ever before. Visually, the game is among the most beautiful you can play today, at least as far as a single-player campaign is concerned. As soon as you see maps that are not designed for the campaign, you immediately notice smaller details, weaker effects, and the like.


As I said at the beginning of the text, in the full review we will touch on multiplayer, and until then, here's a brief conclusion about the campaign. It's easy to hate that part of the game and complain about it. In design, Call of Duty hasn't moved from where it was 16 years ago, and if you're already a veteran of the series, it could get on your nerves. The game sometimes really treats the player as if he were a dog, and while that may make sense in some segments, the impression is that Call of Duty could accomplish fascinating and phenomenal things when it moved away from that "Follow me to" format.


The best moments of the game come on rare missions when you are your own master. From all that shooting and waiting for someone else to open the door for me, it was best for me at Modern Warfare to step out of a window and avoid a certain death in front of the target of an armored vehicle.


Check some of the older Call of Duty Modern Warfare posts ->>

https://www.gamingnewsunited.com/2019/10/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-has-been.html

https://www.gamingnewsunited.com/2019/10/call-of-duty-sneakers-are-manufactured.html

https://www.gamingnewsunited.com/2019/10/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-for-ps4.html

No comments:

Post a Comment